Openstack Notifications can play a big role in extending capabilities of the Openstack. Most of the actions in Openstack which manipulate the system state generate notifications which is posted to the messaging component (e.g. RabbitMQ) and can be consumed by any service outside the Openstack. Some of these notifications are used by Ceilometer to provide chargeback related data.
In this talk we examine some use cases where one can tap into OpenStack notifications layer and build real world use cases that are so often needed by enterprise IT.
Specifically, we will cover the following:
- High level overview of Openstack notifications
- Configuring Openstack services to enable notifications
- Live demo demonstrating tapping in to notifications related to Glance image creation, VM creation, Network creation etc.
- Auditing/Compliance solutions -- a few examples.
- Detect unauthorized Glance images in the system
- Inspecting newly created Glance image to detect infected OS images
- Auditing network access whenever a VM becomes externally accessible
- Running network access tools as soon as a new VM becomes available on the network
- Activity Feed of various Openstack activities which helps Admins to monitor their private cloud.