Workday as a SaaS leader in human resources management and finances has faced a number of challenges in adopting and deploying open-source technologies such as OpenStack and OpenContrail. One of these challenges was to find a quick way to evaluate and validate Open source technologies in development environment before considering those for production. Another was to integrate these solutions within the framework of existing company application deployment processes.
In this session, we will talk about how we addressed these challenges by developing an multi-node Openstack CI framework using containers and virtual machines. The topics will cover:
- Challenges we faced in developing and testing open source Openstack deployment tools
- Drivers for adopting Docker for development environment
- Benefits and challenges of using Docker
- How we built a CI system on Docker for quick validation of community developed Openstack deployment solution
- How (we or) operators can develop a transition path for deploying Openstack in production